Silicon Valley has a solution for everything, but who do its ideas really serve? Every Thursday, Paris Marx is joined by a new guest to critically examine the tech industry, its thought leaders, and the worldview it spreads. They challenge the notion that tech alone can drive our world forward by showing that separating tech from politics has consequences for us all, especially the most vulnerable. But if tech won't save us, what will? This podcast isn't simply about tearing tech down; it also presents radical ideas for tech designed for human flourishing instead of surveillance, acquisitions, or to boost stock prices. A better world is possible, and so is better technology.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
Why Advertising Shapes the Tech Economy w/ Daniel Joseph
Paris Marx is joined by Daniel Joseph to discuss why advertising is central not just to the tech economy, but modern capitalism itself, and how the business models of companies are increasing shaped by serving ads and collecting data to inform them.
Daniel Joseph is a Senior Lecturer of Digital Sociology at Manchester Metropolitan University. He’s also written for a number of publications, including Briarpatch Magazine, Motherboard, and Real Life Magazine. Follow Daniel on Twitter at @DanjoKaz00ie.
Tech Won’t Save Us offers a critical perspective on tech, its worldview, and wider society with the goal of inspiring people to demand better tech and a better world. Follow the podcast (@techwontsaveus) and host Paris Marx (@parismarx) on Twitter, support the show on Patreon, and sign up for the weekly newsletter.
The podcast is produced by Eric Wickham and part of the Harbinger Media Network.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Daniel wrote about how advertising and the need to create audiences is much more central to the tech economy than is often discussed.
- Shoshana Wodinsky explained why so many companies are getting into advertising, including hotel chains, retailers, and more.
- Unity faced criticism for merging with IronSource, a known advertising malware distributor.
- After reporting a subscriber decline earlier this year, Netflix launched an ad-supported tier in October.
- Companies like Apple and Uber are expanding their efforts to increase advertising revenue.
- Ramon Lobato wrote Netflix Nations: The Geography of Digital Distribution.