“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
When September Ends: Adnan Syed, Immigration, the Queen’s Funeral
- First: We’re giving you the context on this week’s biggest headlines, including: another interest rate hike, storm damage in Puerto Rico, new anxiety screenings coming to a doctor's office near you, and growing protests in Iran.
- Then: Picture this: it’s 2014. You’re anxiously waiting for another episode of Serial to drop in your podcast feed. Fast forward to this week: a major development drops in the Adnan Syed case. We’ll skimm Syed’s case, why Serial put his case in the spotlight, and why it’s back in the news…in 60 seconds.
- Next: After several governors sent migrants to Martha’s Vineyard, NYC, and DC, “immigration” and the “border” are being Google-searched more than “abortion” and “inflation”. We call up an expert to help cut through the noise about what’s really happening at the border, whether there’s actually a border “crisis”, and what the federal government is doing to help.
- Finally: It was all pomp and circumstance at the Queen's funeral. But have royal funerals always been so fit for a queen? We talk to a reporter to learn how royal funerals have changed over time, get a vibe check on the UK, and what’s to come from the monarchy under King Charles.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Kristie De Peña, vice president of policy and director of immigration, The Niskanen Center
- Erin Vanderhoof, staff writer and co-host of Dynasty, Vanity Fair
PS: Calling all Skimm This listeners. Have questions about the news, work, or life? Call and leave us a voicemail at (929) 266-4381. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin with additional help from Alaisha Key. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.