“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
On Ice: Big Tech, Crypto’s Super Bowl Play, Olympic Drama
Suit up, Skimm’rs. This week, we’re all about the competition: Winter Olympics drama. The Super Bowl, which, yes, we’re watching for the ads. And big tech, where some power players are trying to avoid a losing streak. Plus, the latest on protests in Canada’s capital and mask mandate rollbacks.
- First: We’ve got updates on a landmark #MeToo bill that passed in Congress, which states are relaxing their mask mandates, the controversy over Florida’s “don’t say gay” bill, escalating protests over COVID restrictions in Canada, and (sorry, have to) inflation.
- Next up: From Meta’s massive losses to Spotify’s Joe Rogan headache to Peloton’s job cuts, some of Silicon Valley’s former stars are having a bad year so far. Tech journalist and podcast host Kara Swisher puts it all in context.
- Then: Crypto’s the new kid on the block(chain) this Superbowl Sunday. We explain how the industry’s using Superbowl ads as a moment to go mainstream.
- Plus: The shooting death of Amir Locke by Minneapolis police has put a new spotlight on no-knock warrants. What are they, and why are they a target for reform? University of Chicago law professor Shannon Fairley explains. Here’s theSkimm’s guide on police reform.
- Finally: Figure skating has been delivering big-time Olympic drama this week, from huge firsts to the doping scandal sequel nobody was looking for. Joining us to break it down are former star skaters and Olympic medalists Ashley Wagner and Scott Hamilton.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Kara Swisher, host of Sway, co-host of Pivot, and a tech columnist for the New York Times
- Shannon Fairley, professor from practice, University of Chicago Law
- Ashley Wagner and Scott Hamilton, former Olympic figure skaters and commentators for Peacock
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
P.S. Calling all Skimm This listeners. If you have five minutes to answer some multiple choice questions, please tell us what you want to hear more of on the show. Go to theskimm.com/podsurvey.
Skimm'd by Alex Carr. Additional help from Sagine Corrielus. Engineered by Andrew Callaway. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices