“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
High Gear: Inside Kyiv, Interest Rates, Formula 1
- First: We’ll start this week by speaking to someone inside the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. We've got an inside look at emotions on the ground, the latest on US involvement, and where the war could go from here.
- Next up: With Putin playing mind games on his own turf, we’ll take a look at the information iron curtain in Russia.
- ICYMI: The Fed announced it’s raising interest rates .25%. We’ll explain why this small step for the Fed is actually a big move for the economy – and your wallet.
- Then: Europe and China are seeing major spikes in COVID cases, all thanks to a new “Stealth” variant of Omicron. We’ll explain what you need to know about Omicron’s evil twin.
- Finally: Formula One’s appeal is twofold: it’s a high-speed sport with Housewives-level drama. We’ll cover the global car racing competition, its geopolitical controversies, and its glamorous destinations. And the drivers? Let’s just say they’re…hot wheels.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Jane Ferguson, correspondent, PBS Newshour, contributor, The New Yorker
- Alessandra Stanley, co-editor, AirMail
- Jean Yung, reporter, Market News International
- Carrie Battan, staff writer, The New Yorker
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr and Will Livingston. Additional help from Sagine Corrielus. Engineered by Andrew Callaway. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices