“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
We Can’t Stop: SCOTUS Rulings, WFH Forever and Psychedelics at Work?!
- First: We’ve got the context on this week’s headlines: the biggest takeaways from the Jan. 6 hearings, an update on the bipartisan gun deal and the police response in Uvalde, Biden’s push for a gas tax holiday, and the devastating earthquake in Afghanistan.
- Next: Before SCOTUS leaves for summer recess, it’s dropping rulings on cases it heard this year. We sat down with a legal expert to get the TLDR on what they’ve released so far, including a controversial second amendment case that’s creating shockwaves through US cities.
- ICYMI: Across the pond, thousands of UK rail workers went on strike. All aboard as we break down why rail workers are walking out, and why it could be bad news for Boris Johnson…in 60 seconds.
- Also: We’re kicking off a new segment, Ask Skimm This. As the economy seems to be cooling off, CEOs are tightening the reins. So: does that mean workers can say goodbye to WFH? We’ll ask an expert.
- Finally: Some businesses are taking employees on the trip of a lifetime. Think: taking psychedelics with your coworkers to get the creative juices flowing. We'll ask a reporter who investigated this trend WTF is going on. And whether or not psychedelics might be making an appearance at a workplace near you.
PS: Calling all Skimm This listeners. If you have a question for us — about the news, work, or life — call and leave us a voicemail at (929) 266-4381. We can’t wait to hear from you.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Caroline Polisi, lecturer in law, Columbia University
- Vivian Giang, senior staff editor, The New York Times
- Natasha Loder, health policy editor, The Economist
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.