“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
Both Sides Now: Recession Fears, VP Harris on Abortion, Heat Waves
- First: We’ve got the latest on the economic news of the week. To sort out the Fed’s interest rate hike, corporate earnings, and the latest GDP report showing another quarter of shrinkage, we phone a friend and learn what all these money moves mean.
- Next: Lawmakers in Indiana introduced a near total abortion ban, kicking off a special legislative session this week. Skimm This spoke to VP Kamala Harris in Indianapolis to learn about the federal government’s response since Roe fell — and what we can expect to see going forward.
- ICYMI: It’s too darn hot. With extreme heat on the rise worldwide, many cities are scrambling to figure out how to handle it. We talk to an emergency planning coordinator from Seattle who tells us how her city plans to beat the heat. PS: Here’s how you can stay safe and cool during a heatwave.
- Finally: From Yosemite to Yellowstone, national park visits boomed during the pandemic as people looked for safe-ish ways to go on vacay. But with parks overcrowded and severe weather taking a toll, one travel expert shares alternative places to go that are just as Instagram-worthy, if not more.
PS: Calling all Skimm This listeners. Have questions about the news, work, or life? Call and leave us a voicemail at (929) 266-4381. We can’t wait to hear from you.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Katheryn Edwards, economist, RAND Corporation
- Kamala Harris, Vice President of the United States
- Lucia Schmidt, emergency planning coordinator, Seattle Office of Emergency Management
- Shannon Lowery, content manager, Visit USA Parks
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.