“Skimm This” is a weekly news program that breaks down important stories from the past week and adds context and clarity to answer the questions on your mind. Every Thursday evening.
Subscribe to this podcastOpen in app
Dog Days Are Over: Teacher Shortage, Colorado River Drought, Pickleball
- First: We’re giving you the context on the biggest headlines for the week: from a major NFL star being sidelined, to Liz Cheney losing her seat in Wyoming. Plus: OTC hearing aids and the Inflation Reduction Act becomes law. PS: Last week we broke down how the Inflation Reduction Act will affect you. Check it out here.
- Next: This week, we got one of the biggest changes to US water policy in decades. We’ll Skimm who has to turn off the tap – and how this will affect you even if you don’t live out West – in 60 seconds.
- Also: We’re less than three months out from midterm elections. And with TikTok reigning supreme, some people are sounding the alarm about political misinformation on our FYP. We’ll break down the latest news from the platform about how it’s fighting misinformation, and learn how TikTok has influenced elections in other countries.
- ICYMI: It’s been a tough two years for students and teachers. And with headlines reading “teacher shortage”, parents and school districts are nervous about going back to school this year. An expert breaks down the impact of student learning losses, what’s driving teachers away from the profession, and the drastic measures some districts are taking to hire and retain teachers.
- Finally: There’s one sport taking America by storm: pickleball. Think of it as the modern-day bowling league. We talk to a writer to learn about what it is, why everyone and their mothers (literally) are obsessing, and how it could potentially…save America?! PS: Want to connect with a pickle ball player near you? Check out apps like this one.
PS: Calling all Skimm This listeners. Have questions about the news, work, or life? Call and leave us a voicemail at (929) 266-4381. We can’t wait to hear from you.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Abbie Richards, independent mis and disinformation researcher
- Jill Barshay, author, The Hechinger Report
- Sarah Larson, staff writer, The New Yorker
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.